Saturday, December 1, 2012

Being a Teen at a Traditional Writer's Conference


Writer's conferences are one of the great things available to booky people like us. You can go to learn from the classes, meet up with your online friends, introduce yourself to authors you admire, and even pitch your stuff to the pros. But what do you do if you’re a teenager? Most conferences aren’t free or online, and won’t it be hard for people to take you seriously if you’re still going through puberty?

These things were all on my mind as I readied myself for my first conference back in 2010. I was sixteen years-old at the time, and had the daunting task of raising thirteen hundred dollars to go to the ACFW Conference. That money covered travel costs, food, the actual conference, and my hotel room. And I didn’t have a job!

Raising money for my conference was the first hurdle I had to jump, and it’s likely to be the first thing on your mind as you think about attending a writers conference. If I were you, I’d try and go to a smaller conference if it’s your first time. Hop on Google and try to find a reputable one nearby. Your costs will likely be lower than my $1,300, which I raised by mowing lawns.

Yup. The Summer before my conference, I mowed over seventy lawns in the town where I lived. This was hard, sweaty work, but the few times people asked me at the conference if my parents had paid for me to attend, I got to watch their eyes widen when I told them how I’d raised the money myself. Definitely a sweet payoff! But you don’t have to mow seventy lawns. You could try getting a part-time job at a local restaurant, like I did to raise funds for my second conference.

Another hurdle you’ll have to jump is furnishing some credibility for yourself before the conference. Because let’s face it—we’re teenagers. Even when we’re stepping up and showing some initiative, it can be hard for adults to take us seriously. But having some writing credits for magazine articles or placing in a couple of contests can go a long way towards making people take you seriously. At my second conference, I was a finalist in that year’s Genesis competition. I got to wear a shiny ribbon around the hotel, which was as good as saying, “Hey! I’m serious about this writer thing.” I didn’t end up winning, but before the awards banquet a man asked me if I was there because my dad was a finalist. That conversation ended with the man apologizing profusely, and me walking away with a smug grin on my face. It was almost as good as winning the award would have been.

And that’s one thing that helped to keep me going whenever I got nervous. If you view the conference as an opportunity to change people’s usually negative perspectives about teenagers, it can help you muster the enthusiasm to persevere and do your very best.

Writer's conferences can be eye-opening, encouraging, humbling, fun experiences. They’re full of their own highs and lows, but if you remain optimistic, you won’t regret a dime spent attending one.

(Originally posted at NextGenWriters.com)

17 comments:

  1. I was almost going to go to a pitch conference in NYC this December but decided against it because I had just started editing my novel again and I'm still only half away through because I'm doing some re-writes. The hardest part about it is convincing your parents you should go. You can tell them by going to the conference you might get published, but it's highly unlikely.

    I don't know about you, but my parents know very little about the world of publishing so they can't quiet agree with me when I say just attending and experiencing helps.

    There's another conference coming up in March though, so I'm crossing my fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you could make a chart listing all the various benefits of attending a conference? There are definitely a lot! But I understand why a parent would feel some trepidation over letting their teen attend a conference. It's definitely a big step!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My brother suggested Ӏ mіght like this web
    site. Hе was totally right. Тhis
    post actually made my day. You can not imagine just hoω much
    time I had spеnt for this information! Τhanks!

    Ϻy web-ѕite :: opposite ends

    ReplyDelete
  4. A huge dick in my pussy,the warm wet tounge up my own arse and cum along with pussy
    juice all over me. Fuck, ozzy

    Stop by my site :: hcg injections
    my website :: hcg injections

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there colleagues, how is all, and what you wish for to
    say regarding this piece of writing, in my view its truly amazing in
    support of me.

    My website; fast money

    ReplyDelete
  6. After looking at a handful of the blog articles on your web site, I honestly like your technique of writing a blog.
    I book marked it to my bookmark site list and will be checking
    back soon. Please check out my web site too and let me know what you think.


    my blog ... how to make money online from home

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read this post fully regarding the difference of most up-to-date and previous technologies,
    it's awesome article.

    Here is my web blog how to make money online

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, this weekend is pleasant in support of me, because this point in time i am reading this wonderful educational piece of writing here at my home.


    Look at my web site ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwex99npRdc

    ReplyDelete
  9. After looking over a handful of the blоg posts оn уour
    site, I sеriously lіke уour technique οf writіng
    a blog. I saved it tο mу boοkmaгk sіte list and
    will be checking bаck in the near future.

    Pleaѕе visіt my web site too and let me knoω how you
    feеl.

    Here is my web-site :: hcg diet food list

    ReplyDelete
  10. Afteг looκing ovеr a handful of the blog poѕtѕ on
    yοur site, Ӏ serіously like youг technique of writing a blog.
    Ӏ sаved it to my booκmark site list and will be checking back in thе neаr
    futuгe. Please ѵisit my ωеb sіtе toο and let me knοw how you feel.


    Ηeгe is my рage hcg diet food list
    my web site > oral hcg weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am not italian, and i genuinely acquired absolutely nothing
    towards them, but I hear females saying that italian men are soooo scorching, and beautiful, with design looks, but
    these identical ladies are with fellas who're not italian. And if they're italian, they surely don't look like versions. I mean I am able to recognize the frustration of girls once they see men ogling at models/skinny ladies, and it makes me query whether my physical appearance is appropriate or not. So my query is are guys of other ethnicities much less fascinating? is it a fantasy of each and every woman to be using an italian dude?

    Also visit my blog post; attract women

    ReplyDelete
  12. Usually, when the infected person does not have any symptoms of cold sores,
    that is virus is dormant, then the person is not infectious.
    In that the cold sore causing virus dwells in the nerves, any activity of this insidious virus often will supply you a meaningful forewarning at the surface of
    your lip or nostrils. These new viruses are complete and full size,
    identical to the original virus.

    Visit my web page - cold sore remedies

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello, after reading this amazing post i am also happy to
    share my experience here with colleagues.

    my webpage; Best Jumpers For Sale

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't say that other ways than formal training usually are not successful, I was merely stating that it's unfair to state that traditional?
    colleges don't educate us anything in any way. ;)

    Feel free to surf to my web-site ... marcus london 60 minute stamina for free

    ReplyDelete
  15. I use RunKeeper to monitor all my runs. I've been out a whole bunch of instances together with the Z, and it picks up satellites as quickly as anything else I've at any time used.
    Accuracy is bang on I mostly run routes I previously know, and the Xperia seemed to have them to be the appropriate length
    inside of 100m.

    Feel free to visit my website premature ejaculation medication

    ReplyDelete
  16. If some one needs expert view concerning running
    a blog then i propose him/her to pay a visit this blog,
    Keep up the good job.

    Feel free to surf to my web site Juegos Online

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's appropriate time to make some plans for the future and it's time to be happy.
    I have read this post and if I could I want to suggest you
    some interesting things or advice. Maybe you can write next articles referring to this article.
    I desire to read more things about it!

    Stop by my page :: Guarda Roupas

    ReplyDelete